It appears that SQL 2000, MOSS and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 don’t play too nicely together. During the config the MOSS Shared Service provider there are Authentication issue’s in SQL. The good news is by dropping Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 appears to be tolerant in this configuration with a couple of caveats.
- Make all the MOSS Service Accounts Administrators on the SQL Box. These privileges should be able to pruned at a later date, but there does seem to be issues with the installation and configuration of MOSS.
- The MOSS configuration tool that is usually run from Start Menu will not complete the installation. To get around this run the tool from the command line using “psconfig.exe” located under the “%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin” folder.
- After running the MOSS Hotfixes following re-run the config tool after each upgrades completes, using the “psconfig.exe” command line tool. Again the Start Menu Option will not work. Here are the hotfixes :-
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 hotfix package: May 8, 2007 – KB936867
- SharePoint Server 2007 hotfix package for SharePoint Server 2007 and for SharePoint Server
2007 for Search: May 8, 2007 – KB936877
- SharePoint Server 2007 hotfix package: May 15, 2007 – KB937207
I’d be interested to work out what in SP2 actually stops SQL 2000 from working with MOSS, but then again I’m not in a rush to do another MOSS job with SQL 2000.